Hawker Hunter

Undoubtedly one of the shapeliest jet fighters, the Hawker P.1067 Hunter was a popular aircraft with pilots and crowds alike at air shows in the 1950s. Designed by Sydney Camm as a replacement for Ihe Royal Air Force’s (RAF’s) Gloster Meteors, it first flew in July 1951.
It was powered by a Rolls-Royce Avon turbojet, with the air intakes in the wing roots, leaving the nose free to carry four 30mm Aden cannon. These were housed in an ingenious pack that could be easily removed and refitted for maintenance or re-arming.
The Hunter entered service as the F. 1 in July 1954, but numerous early problems, including a crucial lack of range, led to its replacement a year later by the improved F. 4. which could also carry rockets and bombs.
Notable among succeeding variants was the F.6, which introduced distinctive “dog tooth” wing leading edges and proved the definitive
fighter version.
Although the RAF phased out its Hunter interceptors in 1963, it pressed on with the ground-attack FGA.9 until 1970, and the
Royal Navy went on using FGA.11s into the late 1980s.
The Hunter also served with many foreign air forces. India employed the aireraft to good effect in its 1965 and 1971 wars with Pakistan,
while Jordanian and Iraqi Hunters operated against Israeli forces in 1967 and 1973.

Comments

comments