Junkers G 38

Throughout his career German designer Hugo Junkers toyed with ideas for a “flying wing” – an aircraft without a fuselage or tail, with passengers, crew, and engines housed within the wing alone. The thick-winged four-engine G 38 airliner was the closest he came to building one.
This was in many ways a typical Junkers all-metal design, with a multi-spar wing and corrugated duralumin sheet skinning. But
the wing was a maximum of 5ft 7in deep, giving space inside for passengers and crew. In addition to the 30 or more passengers in
the fuselage, two or three sat in the wing-root leading edges, with a panoramic view through windows in front of them.The thick wing also made it possible for mechanics to gain internal access to the engines during flight.
The first G 38 was delivered to Deutsche Lufthansa in June 1930 and a second one followed in September 1931. At the time they were the largest landplanes in existence. The facilities offered by their spacious two-deck passenger accomodation included a buffet, a smoking cabin, two lavatories, and a washroom. No more G 38s were made, although the second prototype continued in service until it was destroyed duringt he war in 1941. Mitsubishi in Japan built at least six of a bomber version, the Type 92 ( Ki 20).

Comments

comments